Domain Setup: GoDaddy
- To get started, log into your GoDaddy account, and visit the “My Account” section.
- You should then see a list of products within your account. See screenshot (Click to enlarge):
- From here, click on the Manage button for the “Domains” category.
- You should now see a list of domains you can edit. If you're new to this, you probably only have the one domain listed here. Click on the name of your domain (i.e. yourdomain.com).
- On the next page, you should see 3 tabs to select from. “Settings” will be selected by default, but the tab we want is the DNS Zone File one.
Using your Whole Domain
If you wish to point your whole domain (Such as yourdomain.com) to your board, as opposed to using a subdomain (Such as forums.yourdomain.com), follow the steps below. If you're wanting to use a subdomain (Such as “forums.yourdomain.com”), skip to the Using a Subdomain section.
- On the following page, look for the section called A (Host). By default you should only have one entry in this table, which should have a “Host” set to the @ symbol. For this entry, click on the “Edit Record” box, as per screenshot below.
- On the pop-up that appears, you only want to change the POINTS TO: field. In here, enter the IP Address of the server your zIFBoards or ZetaBoard's board is hosted on. You can find the appropriate IP Address on the Server IP List.
- Click Finish once you've entered the IP Address.
- Once the pop-up disappears, scroll down a bit until you reach the CName (Alias) section. You may have a few records here already, but the one we are interested in has a host of “www”. Same as before, click on the “Edit Record” box for this row.
- On the pop-up, change the POINTS TO: field to the server name of your board. For example, if your board address is http://s8.zetaboards.com/yourboard - you would enter s8.zetaboards.com in this box.
- Click Finish once you've entered this.
Using a Subdomain
If you're just wanting to use a subdomain to access your forum (such as forums.yourdomain.com) the process is very similar.
- Once you are on the DNS Zone File page, click on the Add Record link near the top (There are actually several “Add Record” links on this page - it doesn't matter which one you click on).
- On the pop-up that appears, select CNAME (Alias) from the first drop-down list.
- The Host is what you want your subdomain to be. For example, if you wanted your subdomain to be “forums.yourdomain.com” you would enter forums here (You do not need to include the rest of the domain).
- change the POINTS TO: field to the server name of your board. For example, if your board address is http://s8.zetaboards.com/yourboard - you would enter s8.zetaboards.com in this box.
- Leave the TTL field alone.
- Click Finish once you've entered all of the above. (See screenshot below for an example).
- Once you have completed the above, Open a Support Ticket from your Admin CP and tell us your domain name. We will need to add your domain to our security network, and then we will let you know when you can add your domain to your Admin CP's Domain Manager.
- You shouldn't need to wait more than 24 hours and your domain should be good to go!